Sunday, October 16, 2011

Target Training: Target Coupon Policy and Couponing at Target 10/13/11

http://www.thriftyandthriving.com/2011/10/target-training-target-coupon-policy-and-couponing-at-target/

Target Training: Target Coupon Policy and Couponing at Target

BY CHRISTY ON OCTOBER 13, 2011

One of the best ways to save on everyday items is by using coupons at Target. The fact that Target will allow one store coupon and one manufacturer coupon on a single item, is what gives you the bigger savings. By combining the two coupons I was able to save big money on one of my most recent Target shopping trips. All of the items you see pictured above cost me only $2.90 (before tax), the total retail value of the items is $70.

Target not only release coupons for food and health & beauty items, but they also release coupons for toys, clothing and housewares. These type of coupons usually hit their print limit quicker than the grocery items, so if you see a coupon you are interested in, I would print it sooner rather than later.

In the shopping trip above I was able to use a toy coupons to get the Transformer for FREE, and clothing coupons to get a shirt for $ .74 and sweats for only $ .48. I combined the dollar off coupons with clothing I found at 75% off, which gave me more bang for my buck.

Target has their coupon policy posted online, so you can view the entire policy on their website. I recommend printing out the coupon policy and bringing it with you, there are times when the cashiers are uninformed and it is nice to have something to refer to.

Let’s go over a few of the specifics

• Target accepts one Manufacturer Coupon and one Target Coupon for the same item (unless prohibited by either coupon).

This is an important one, it is the rule that really saves you the most money. Combine those coupons!

• Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.).

You must follow the guidelines on the coupon. If a coupon says $1.00 off any Oral B floss, it can be used an ANY Oral B floss. Coupons usually have a photo on their coupons of the higher priced product, to make you think that you need to use it on that item. Just check the wording carefully to make sure you are using it on the proper item, size, etc and you hopefully you shouldn’t have any problems of the cashier accepting the coupon.

• Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.

This states that if the coupon amount exceeds the cost of the item you are buying, they may adjusted the coupon down to price to match the product. This does not always happen and there is a potential for overage (you won’t get money back). Sometimes you may even get a cashier that claims that they cannnot except a coupon because it is more than the cost of the item. Just politely point out the information on their coupon policy and hope fore the best.

• We can’t give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.

This means that Target will not allow you to get cash back if your balance goes below zero. Like I mentioned above, Target will sometimes adjust the coupons down and other times they won’t. If there is a chance you may have overage than I would buy another item to absorb the potential overage. Let’s use the $8/2 Cover Girl coupon as an example:

You buy (2) Cover Girl Blush @ $3.74 (total = $7.54)
You use (1) $8/2 Cover Girl Face items coupon

If they coupon is adjusted down your total = $0
If they do not adjust the coupon down your total is – $ .46

If you don’t have any other items you are buying, you may want to buy something small to absorb the potential $ .46 in overage that the coupon will make.

• We do not accept Internet coupons for free items with no purchase requirements.

This rule is common for most stores. I don’t even bother printing out coupons for FREE items, they are just too hard to redeem.

buy one get one free coupons (BOGO):

Make sure you check their coupon policy regarding BOGO coupons, so you know what is and what isn’t acceptable.

Many of the Target store coupons say “Limit one coupon or offer per transaction”, which means you are only allowed to use ONE of the Target coupons on that specific item. This means that if something is on sale and it ends up being FREE with coupons, you will not be able to stock-up by using multiple Target coupons and multiple manufacturer coupons in one transaction. Lets use the Extra Gum coupons as an example:

Target has the Extra gum priced at $ .99 with the $1/2 Target store coupon and the $1/2 manufacturer coupon it makes 2 packages absolutely FREE! (love that!). Since, Target only allows one Target coupon per transaction you CANNOTpurchase the gum with the following scenario:

Buy (6) Extra Dessert Delights Gum $ .99
Use (3) $1/2 Target printable coupon +
Use (3) $1/2 coupon from 9/25 SmartSource insert
Final Price = 6 FREE

You CAN however do the following transactions, or come back at another time to use your second, third or fourth set of coupons:

Buy (2) Extra Dessert Delights Gum $ .99
Use $1/2 Target printable coupon +
Use $1/2 coupon from 9/25 SmartSource insert
Final Price = 2 FREE

Buy (4) Extra Dessert Delights Gum $ .99
Use $1/2 Target printable coupon +
Use (2) $1/2 coupon from 9/25 SmartSource insert
Final Price = $ .25 each

What I usually do, since I visit Target once a week is just save my coupons for another transaction. I have had people mention that their Target allows multiple Target coupons for the same item in one transaction, however I will not post scenario’s that require more than one Target coupon, because I want the deal to work for EVERYONE. I only use one coupon at a time, because that is what it states on the coupon.

Here is what I do to make it easy to remember what coupons I have and the deals I want to pick up when I visit Target on any give day. I have my normal coupon holders, but I also have individual clear plastic envelopes for certain stores. When I find a good deal with coupons that match up, I print the Target coupons from my computers and then I find the coordinating manufacturer coupons and add them all to my individual Target coupon envelope. I keep this in my purse at all times, this way if I make a quick stop at Target I will have the coupons handy. If we use the example of the gum that I mentioned above, I am able to pick up 2 packs of Extra Dessert Delights gum each time I stop at Target.

Do you find items out of stock? I find that Target does a fairly good job of re-stocking popular items. If an item is on sale, you can ask for a rain check, so you can use your coupons at a later date and still get the sale price. If an item is regular price no rain check it needed, just pick it up next time you see them in stock.

Every week on Monday I share the coupon match-ups for Target, so you will know exactly what coupons to combine to get the best deals. To keep up to date on the lastest Target deals and coupons, I would recommend liking Thrifty and Thriving on Facebook, this way you are able to see right away when hot new Target coupons have been posted on their site.

For more posts in the 20 Days of Target Training, click the image above.

No comments:

Post a Comment